Objective: We protect the public because we are using our insight to highlight risks to their safety and wellbeing and encouraging the right parts of the sector to respond.
However, as we undertake our regulatory functions and work with our stakeholders we will allocate a relatively small part of our overall expenditure to do two things that have the potential to have a significant impact on addressing issues affecting the patients and the public:
- Where it is appropriate, we will share information and the evidence we collect as we do our work with the right organisations (such as other regulators, funding and commissioning bodies in the four nations, education providers, representative organisations for the dental professions, and indemnifiers) and encourage them to work collaboratively to address issues facing the public and dental professionals.
- Use our regulatory functions to influence the knowledge, skills and behaviours of the dental team to respond to risks to the public, for example by supporting use of the skills mix of the whole dental team, and engaging with existing members of the dental team as well as newly qualified dental professionals.
In 2023-2025, we will:
- Work with our stakeholders to support their respect and trust of our role so that we can encourage openness and address risks to the public co-operatively with the sector.
- Share insights with the agencies with the powers to respond, using our evidence about risks to the public.
- Work with dental professionals to equip them to respond to current and emerging risks to the public, through appropriate skills, knowledge and behaviours assured and encouraged by our regulatory functions.