Using our website and social media channels
The General Dental Council website is maintained for your personal use and viewing. Access and use by you of this site constitutes acceptance by you of these terms and conditions that take effect from the date of first use.
The names, images, publication material, website content and logos identifying the General Dental Council, are proprietary marks of the General Dental Council. Copying our content and/or any other third party content accessed via this website is not permitted without prior approval from the relevant copyright owner.
Requests for permission to use our logo should be directed to the Communications Team.
Please tell us how and why you wish to use our logo(s) and include your contact details.
Links from our site
We are not responsible for the content or reliability of linked to websites. Listing should not be taken as endorsement of any kind. We cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and we have no control over the availability of linked pages.
We link to sites that provide information for dental patients on making informed choices about their dental care, and also to sites that provide information for dental professionals on matters that affect their registration with us. We do not link to sites providing commercial services or products. We will not respond to emails from commercial websites requesting a link exchange.
We make every effort to check and test material at all stages of production. It is always wise for you to run an anti-virus program on all material downloaded from the Internet. We cannot accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or your computer system which may occur whilst using material derived from this website.
Which social media websites do we use?
These accounts and our website are managed by our Communications team. You can contact us through the social networks or our website. We welcome your thoughts, comments and questions.
We aim to post content regularly. How often you receive that content is dependent on how often you log into your account and how much you interact with it (Facebook, for example is set up to alert you to our content more frequently if you interact with it regularly by clicking, liking, commenting or sharing).
To always get the latest news and advice, we encourage you to follow or like us, although we may not automatically follow you back. Being followed by us is not an endorsement of any kind, or anything to be alarmed by.
We will monitor accounts regularly from the hours of 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. We do not reply to all comments and posts although we do try to respond to all questions directed at us.
Your posts, @mentions and direct messages
We welcome feedback and comments and we want to keep discussion as open as possible.
However, please abide by our house rules.
- Do not post comments or questions about your own registration, such as subscription queries. To protect your privacy, we are unable to answer specific customer advice questions this way.
- Please keep comments relevant to the subject being discussed.
- Do not reveal any of your own personal details or those of others including names, private addresses, phone numbers or other details.
- Do not post any information which might identify a patient or breach confidentiality in any way. You should also not include any details of locations, relatives, spouse or partner, which might identify the patient.
- Do not post any details that refer to a specific case.
- Make sure that your post is factually correct and legal bearing in mind copyright and intellectual property legislation.
- Make sure that your post isn't defamatory, malicious, threatening, abusive, discriminatory, offensive or invades a person's privacy.
- Do not incite hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality or sexuality or other personal characteristics.
- Do not post advertising spam including any commercial endorsement, promotion of any product, service or publication.
- Do not use language which is offensive or provocative. This not only includes obvious swear words and insults (including using asterisks or other symbols to replace letters), but any language to which people reading it could reasonably take offence.
- All comments must comply with the sites own standard terms and conditions.
The GDC reserves the right to remove comments and block individual social media accounts that don't abide by house rules at any time without explanation.