Requesting information we hold about you
What does the GDC do with personal information?
The General Dental Council (GDC) is committed to ensuring that its systems and processes support the rights individuals have in respect of their personal data and that as an organisation we are able to recognise and respond appropriately to people exercising those rights.
If you are party to an open fitness to practise case, please discuss your request with our Casework Team in the first instance to clarify whether the information you require is accessible as part of routine case disclosure. As a fitness to practise case progresses, and as part of fitness to practise process, the GDC provides each party to the case with information relevant to the allegations.
If you want to exercise your legal right to access further information held by the GDC, you may need to make a data subject access request.
To find out more about your rights in respect personal data please see our Data Subjects Rights Policy.
How to make a request
Data subject access requests can be made through the GDC’s website or submitted directly to GDC staff.
You can write by:
- Completing the Data Protection form.
- Post to Freedom of Information, General Dental Council, 37 Wimpole Street, London W1G 8DQ.
- Fax to +44 (0) 20 3355 1574.
For personal information requests under the General Data Protection Regulation we will:
- Usually give the response within 30 calendar days as long as the requestor's identity has been confirmed and the request is sufficiently specific. If the request is complex or involves large amounts of data, we are able to extend that deadline by a further two months;
- Give advice and help, within reason, to identify what you are asking for; and
- Reply, electronically, free of charge unless otherwise requested. Please note that where a further copy of the information is requested, we can charge a reasonable fee. For further information see our information access fees policy.
How to complain
While there is no formal internal review process within GDPR, if you are not happy with how we have handled your subject access request you are able to ask for us to review our decision or the information disclosed. Our target date for responding to internal reviews is 20 working days. Complaints should be addressed to, Principal Legal Adviser, General Dental Council, 37 Wimpole Street, London, W1G 8DQ.
Alternatively, or at the end of the review process, you can write to the Information Commissioner, The Office of the Information Commissioner, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 6AF.