Types of registrants

What do the terms on the online registers mean?


A person who is qualified to treat diseases and other conditions that affect the teeth and gums, especially the repair and extraction of teeth and the insertion of artificial ones, that is registered with the GDC to work in the UK. Find out more information about dentists’ scope of practice from the related document.

Dental care professional (DCP)

A person qualified to practice a certain aspects of dental care that is registered with the GDC to work in the UK. The term covers a vast range of professions including dental nurse, dental technician, dental therapist, dental hygienist, orthodontic therapist and clinical dental technician, all of which require different qualifications and have different scopes of practice. Find out more information about DCP’s scope of practice from the related document.

Temporary registration (TRs) – Temporary registrant dentists

Temporary registration (TRs) is available to any dentist holding a recognised overseas diploma. This type of registration exists to allow overseas-qualified dentists to undertake a training programme at a UK university or in an NHS hospital, carry out research or undertake a programme at a UK NHS hospital or university.

It is not granted to allow the applicant to work in primary care or private hospitals or dental practices or to cover staff shortages or provide service cover when existing full time members of staff are absent due to illness or are on leave. It does not lead to full registration or offer the option of being exempt from either taking the overseas registration exam (ORE) or exempt from taking certain parts of the ORE in order to gain full registration. They are registered under section 17 of the Dentist Act 1984 (temporary registration) and their details on the register should include their post, the institution they are based within and the period for which registration is effective.