Guidance for those employing, supervising or training students, trainees or learners
We have recently reviewed our guidance for those employing, supervising or training trainee/student dental nurses or dental technicians. This guidance explains what is expected in respect of a registrant employing student/trainee dental nurses and dental
* Please note that education providers will be required to transition their programmes from Preparing for Practice to The Safe Practitioner: A framework of behaviours and learning outcomes for dental professional education from September 2025. For further information, please contact the Education and Quality Assurance team.
What defines a student/trainee dental nurse or dental technician?
- Employed and enrolled or waiting to start on a recognised programme that will lead to GDC registration; or
- Studying on a recognised programme that leads directly to GDC registration.
- You should identify appropriate courses leading to registration.
- You should allow and require the trainee to enrol on a recognised programme, and meet the obligations that are required of it.
- You should identify a supervising GDC registrant and ensure they carry out the necessary supervision in accordance with this guidance.
You should facilitate and support the trainee to complete the programme.
Duration of training
- The trainee must begin their programme within two years of commencing employment.
- The trainee should achieve their award, or qualification, within the normal duration of the course or up to one year after the expected course completion date.