Before you apply

To apply for the ORE you will need to fill in the online application form on eGDC.

Applicants are required to ensure they have read and understood the student fitness to practise guidance and exam rules before completing the form.

You are not expected to be familiar with the NHS or British culture other than the ways in which it will affect your treatment of patients. You should be familiar with how people in the UK might behave, but you should not make assumptions about a patient based on issues such as gender or ethnic origin.

When you apply for the ORE, you should be certain that you have the overall clinical acumen to successfully complete a series of tests. The ORE will sample the Learning Outcomes covered in our Preparing for Practice document, and your chances of passing will be improved if you have had a recent broad experience of clinical dentistry, rather than relying entirely on preparation courses. The exam is designed to determine whether you can safely practise dentistry in the UK and for this purpose you must be able to demonstrate the necessary knowledge, skills and attitudes at one sitting.

A candidate is expected to be able to show competence, knowledge and familiarity in the different aspects of dentistry which are outlined in the Learning Outcomes in our  Preparing for Practice document. The standards of conduct, performance and ethics required are described in our Standards for the dental team


Before applying, you need to make sure you meet our clinical experience and English language requirement. You will need to send evidence of the following:

  • Clinical experience requirement

You must have at least 1600 hours of clinical experience where you have personally treated patients in the dental chair. The number of hours of this clinical experience will either be hours spent undertaking appropriate investigations and administering dental treatment:

  • during your dental degree;
  • during post-qualification experience; or
  • a combination of the two.

It could also be undertaken during temporary registration.

This cannot include time observing other dentists or assisting other dentists/dental students in undertaking diagnosis/treatment planning or provision of treatment.

  • English language requirement

For the purpose of the ORE, candidates are required to submit evidence of English language. The types of evidence we are likely to accept are:

  • An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) certificate at the appropriate level.
  • A recent primary dental qualification that has been taught and examined in English.
  • A recent pass in a language test for registration with a regulatory authority in a country where the first and native language is English.
  • Recent experience of practising in a country where the first and native language is English.

Please also see the GDC's guidance on English language controls for full details of the above requirements and 'other evidence' we may accept.