Recommended CPD topics
It is important that you plan your CPD activity, ensuring it is relevant to your field(s) of practice and that it is contributing to our development outcomes(s).
To help and support you in your CPD choices, we have identified some CPD topics that will relate to many of you in your field(s) of practice. These topics and allocations are highly recommended:
- Medical emergencies: at least 10 hours in each CPD cycle, and we recommend that you do at least two hours of this type of CPD activity every year.
- Disinfection and decontamination: we recommend that you do at least five hours in each CPD cycle.
- Radiography and radiation protection: if you undertake radiography, we recommend that you do at least five hours in each CPD cycle. If you are a dental technician, you can do CPD in materials and equipment, instead of radiography and radiation protection. We recommend at least five hours in each CPD cycle.
We also recommend that you keep your skills up to date by doing CPD in the following areas:
- Legal and ethical issues.
- Complaints handling.
- Oral cancer: early detection.
- Safeguarding children and young people.
- Safeguarding vulnerable adults.
These recommendations are made, because we believe regularly refreshing your knowledge and skills in these areas contributes to improved performance and patient safety.