Embed an inclusive workplace culture at all levels in the GDC where all staff feel valued, welcome, integrated, and included
The GDC is based across two sites, in London and in Birmingham. These locations are home to some of the most diverse populations in the UK and we view this as an enormous strength. Our staff represent a wide range of ages, ethnicities, abilities, faiths, sexual orientations, gender identities, parental and caring duties. By embedding an inclusive workplace culture, we are creating a supportive, fulfilling environment, where everybody feels able to bring their whole selves to work and for this to be celebrated.
We will initially be focused on improving our data monitoring and intelligence gathering at the GDC, so we are able to amplify the voices of our staff through our equality subject matter expertise, awareness campaigns and staff networks.
Meeting the objective
Below are some of the activities that we have committed to undertaking to achieve this objective.
- Reviewing Equality Monitoring forms to ensure we capture data in a way that is respectful and inclusive and encouraging staff to complete.
- Monitoring and comparing our staff demographics to the local population where they work and the dental team.
- Ongoing monitoring of the EDI data of applicants throughout each stage of the recruitment process, alongside innovating our attraction strategy, to encourage the diversity of applicants to the GDC.
- Continuing to create and support new staff EDI Networks.
- Setting targets and monitoring the diversity of our senior leadership team at an organisational and individual level and continuing to produce the Gender pay gap report.
- Enhancing the training of our staff so that they are aware of their legal responsibilities around EDI.
- Capturing demographic data of our Associates and ensuring they undertake annual EDI development activities.
We will monitor progress against the objective using the following indicators.
- Feedback from GDC staff members through regular surveys.
- Staff completing EDI training.
- Our performance on external benchmarks such as Employer’s Network for Equality & Inclusion ‘TIDE’ report.
- Progress from ‘Disability Committed’ to ‘Disability Confident’.
- Improved employment and career progression for applicants that have protected characteristics.
- Increased Gender representation in senior roles.
- Increased Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic representation in senior roles.
- Effective delivery and outputs from Employee Resource Groups.
- Employee focus groups are facilitated, with results compiled.
- Feedback from exit interviews.
Developments against this objective
In achieving this objective, we have undertaken the following activities:
- Published the Gender pay gap as part of our annual report and accounts.
- Set up staff networks for disability and women.
- Updated the equality monitoring form for GDC staff members.