Recommended CPD topics
To help and support you when making CPD choices we have identified some topics that will be relevant to most dental professionals.
We’re recommending these CPD topics because regularly refreshing your knowledge and skills in these areas will contribute to improved performance and patient safety.
Make a plan for your CPD to ensure:
- you’re meeting the minimum number of verifiable CPD hours
- the CPD you do is verifiable
- it’s relevant to your field(s) of practice
- the activity links to one or more development outcomes
- the CPD has been quality assured.
The following CPD topics are highly recommended:
- Medical emergencies: we recommend at least 10 hours in each CPD cycle, and at least two hours of this type of activity every year.
- Disinfection and decontamination: we recommend at least five hours in each cycle.
- Radiography and radiation protection: if you undertake radiography, we recommend at least five hours in each cycle. For dental technicians we recommend materials and equipment, instead of radiography and radiation protection, and again, at least five hours in each cycle.
We also recommend CPD in the following areas:
- legal and ethical issues
- complaints handling
- oral cancer: early detection
- safeguarding children and young people
- safeguarding vulnerable adults.
Find out more about CPD for dental professionals.