What is EDI?
At the GDC, we recognise the definitions of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) to mean the following:
- Equality: Everybody is entitled to equal opportunity to fulfil their potential.
- Diversity: Recognising that everybody is different and that we are stronger for it.
- Inclusion: Removing barriers to ensure differences are valued, and ensuring everyone has the opportunity to contribute.
EDI Strategy 2021-2023
Our vision for EDI over the next three years (2021-2023) is:
The General Dental Council will be a champion of diversity, equality and inclusion inside our organisation, with the sector we regulate, and with the public.
We will achieve this vision through the effective delivery of the following strategic objectives:
- Ensuring that our regulatory activity is fair, transparent and accessible to all.
- Ensuring the public are able to engage effectively with our services.
- Embedding an inclusive workplace culture at all levels in the GDC where all staff feel valued, welcome, integrated and included.
Where did our EDI objectives come from?Our objectives have drawn from data and evidence and discussions with staff. We have used anonymised equality data from the dental team, in addition to our Fitness to Practise Process data and associated research. Any EDI-based interactions with our staff, the public and the professions have all provided us with a wealth of perspectives that have been vital in shaping this framework.
Additionally, our priorities have been influenced by legal duties and ethical responsibilities, including but not limited to the Public Sector Equality Duty, the Professional Standards Authority’s EDI Standard and the broader Equality Act 2010 and Human Rights Act 1998.
Development of this strategy has also linked closely with organisational priorities, alongside external research and guidance.