Registration as a dental care professional who has a qualification from overseas
The information on this page is only relevant to you if:
- you have never been registered with the GDC before, and
- you have a dental qualification from overseas.
How do I apply for registration?
If you hold a dental qualification from overseas, you can apply for individual assessment. If your application is successful you will be eligible for registration.
Requesting an assessment application form
You can request an assessment application form online via eGDC by selecting ‘Apply to register’. Please note, you will be asked to complete the route to registration questionnaire. Once you have completed the online form, please allow 10 working days for us to assess your details.
The information submitted will be reviewed and you will be notified by email of the appropriate application form and guidance you need to submit to apply to register with the GDC.
What documents will I need to send with my application?
Along with your completed application form, you will need to send:
- a completed learning outcomes form relevant to your DCP title (this will be issued with your application pack)
- a certified copy of your valid passport, clearly showing your photograph and personal details as well as the expiry date of the document
- a passport sized photograph of yourself that has been signed on the back by your character referee
- a certified copy of your qualification certificate
- a certificate of current professional standing, otherwise known as a certificate of good standing
- a certified copy of the syllabus from the course you were studying
- a certified copy of the transcript of marks for your course
- references from colleagues and employers referring to your experience and knowledge as a dental care professional
- evidence of any relevant postgraduate qualifications
- evidence of any relevant training courses or CPD
- a certified copy of your change of name document, if necessary
- translations of documents which are not issued in English
- evidence that you have the required English language standard necessary for registration. Details on the requirements can be found on our English language controls page
- one photocopy of your whole application.
The application pack contains detailed guidance for the information required with your application. Incomplete applications will be closed and returned without assessment.
The 'Preparing for Practice' curricula details the learning outcome requirements for dental care professionals (DCP) in the UK. These learning outcomes will be used in the assessment of overseas qualified DCP applicants wishing to apply for registration. You can download the curricula, which is within the Preparing for Practice document.
How long will it take?
When we receive your application, we will:
- Contact you by email to confirm we have received your application within five days.
- Check your application and documents within four weeks of receipt of your application.
- Contact you if there is a problem with your application (this could include returning your application if it is considered incomplete).
- Forward your application to the next available assessment panel, if it is considered complete as per requirements.
- Inform you of our decision on your application (in writing) - the Council has a maximum of four months from receipt of a complete application to inform an applicant of its decision.
It is an offence under section 39 of the Dentists Act 1984 (as amended) to use a DCP title without being registered with the GDC.