The information on this page is only relevant to you if:
you have never been registered with GDC before; and
you are exempt person; and
you have an overseas dental qualification
Am I an exempt person?
Please check you meet the criteria of exempt person before continuing.
The EEA states are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden. For the purposes of registration with the GDC, Switzerland is treated as an EEA Member State.
How do I apply for registration?
As a dentist who is:
- an exempt person, and
- has a primary dental qualification from overseas
You can apply for an assessment of your dental training, knowledge and skill for registration under Section 15(1)(c):
- Under this route, your application is assessed to determine whether you have the requisite knowledge and skill for registration.
- We will first consider whether your primary dental training meets the requirements outlined in Article 34 of European Directive 2005/36/EC regarding course content and duration. If it does not, your application will be refused and you will have the right to appeal this decision.
- If your primary dental training does meet the requirements of Article 34 we may, if required, consider your postgraduate qualifications, professional experience and CPD to determine whether you have the requisite knowledge and skill for registration. If you have been accepted to practise dentistry in another EEA state, this will also be taken into consideration. If we determine that you do not have the requisite knowledge and skill, your application will be refused and you will have the right to appeal this decision.
What documents are required?
In addition to the completed application form, certified copies of your passport, Exempt Persons Status evidence, certified copy of your primary dental qualification, and Certificate of of Current Professional Status (CCPS), you will need:
- UK NARIC Statement of Comparability
- A full undergraduate syllabus for your primary dental training. In the first instance your undergraduate dental training will be considered against the requirements of EC Directive 2005/36/EC (the Directive). Without a full undergraduate syllabus we will not be able to assess your primary dental training and whether you have the requisite knowledge and skill for registration. The syllabus must be issued by the college/university and must be relevant to the period in which you undertook undergraduate dental training.
Please note that you will be sent a full list of documents required if an application pack is sent to you.
How long will the assessment take?
Once a complete application is submitted with all of the required supporting documentation, the GDC has a maximum 3 months from the date of a completed application to inform an applicant of the outcome of the assessment.
How do I request an application pack if I am able to demonstrate Exempt Person Status?
You can request an application pack online via eGDC by selecting 'Apply to Register' and completing our online proforma. Please note, you will be asked to complete the route to registration questionnaire. Please complete the online proforma so that we can check this is the right route to registration for you. Once we have confirmed this, we will send you an application form, guidance on how to complete the form and documentation required, and a frequently asked questions document.
When can I expect a response?
We will aim to process your Proforma within 1 month of receipt, in some instances where we will need to request advice from our Legal Team, this may require additional processing time.