General Dental Council
+44 (0) 845 222 4141
or +44 (0) 20 7887 3800

37 Wimpole Street
London W1G 8DQ

 Checking our registers


Your dental professional must be registered with us to work in the UK. We keep our registers online so you can easily search for their details.

Find out who we register
Check our register
Look for a specialist


 Standards in dentistry


We set standards in dentistry which registered dental professionals must follow. We produce advice for patients including lists of questions you might want to ask during your appointments.

Watch our audio presentation
Standards for the Dental Team
Our patient leaflet is in seven languages and EasyRead
Considering tooth whitening?


 NHS dentistry


If you are looking for an NHS dental professional or have questions about the costs of NHS treatment, please contact one of the following organisations. We are not responsible for the content of these websites.

Patients in England – NHS Choices
Patients in Scotland – NHS National Services Scotland
Patients in Northern Ireland – NI Direct
Patients in Wales - NHS Direct


 Who can help with a problem


All dental practices to have their own complaints procedure and most issues can usually be dealt with in this way. Speak to them first to see if you can settle the problem. If you are still unhappy, you can make a complaint. There are different ways of doing this which depend on issues such as whether your care was provided under the NHS or privately.

I have had private treatment - Dental Complaints Service
My dental professional isn’t registered
I do not think they should be allowed to work
How does the GDC investigate complaints?