There are two sets of circumstances when an individual may need a letter of non-objection from the GDC in order to process a company name with Companies House:
- The use of the words dental and dentistry. These words are prescribed under the ‘Company, Limited Liability Partnership and Business Names (Sensitive Words and Expressions) Regulations 2009 (SI No. 2615)’. To use the words dental and dentistry, an individual must obtain the support of the GDC and send it with the ‘Application to register a company’ which will allow the Secretary of State to consider whether or not to approve the name.
- The use of the words dentist, dental surgeon and dental practitioner. These words are controlled by the Dentists Act 1984. To use these words and expressions an individual must obtain the written support of the GDC’s registrar (which is usually given under delegated authority.
On 23 April 2008, the Standards Committee
confirmed the Council's current policy for assessing business name applications, namely that the proposed name must make clear the nature of the services to be provided. It was agreed that this policy should be enforced for all applications from a specific commencement date. Therefore as of 3 June 2008, all business name applications are to be assessed this way.
Please note that we are not able to provide legal advice with regard to the setting up of any type of business or partnership. Please seek your own independent legal advice for any questions you may have.
Request a letter of non-objection
To obtain a letter of non-objection from the GDC please send us the following information:
- proposed business/company name;
- business activity, e.g. dental suppliers, dental practice, dental laboratory;
- full postal address of where you would like the letter of non objection to be sent (as we do not send out letters by email or fax); and
- your full name and (if registered with the GDC) your registration number.
Please send your request by email or post:
Registration Operations Team
General Dental Council
37 Wimpole Street
When you will receive your letter
Companies House have confirmed they will only accept original copies of the letters of non objection and not email or fax confirmations. If you have any further queries please refer to Companies House directly www.companieshouse.gov.uk
We aim to respond to all business name requests within 10 working days.
Please refer to the frequently asked questions for more information on business and company names.